Skip Navigation

Learn about the USA visa, customs and quarantine regulations. This includes types of visa applications, what to declare and what is prohibited in the USA.


Do I need a visa to enter the USA?

You will need a valid visa or ESTA to enter the United States and must be in possession of one at least 72 hours before departure.

What type of tourist visa should I apply for?

You’ll need to get a visa or an Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA) visa waiver to enter or transit the USA as a visitor.

The ESTA allows approved applicants to travel to the USA for up to 90 days for the purpose of tourism, certain types of business visits, and transit to another country. You will generally qualify if you hold a valid ‘British Citizen’ passport and if you haven’t been arrested for certain crimes. Further details on US immigration rules are available on the Customs and Border Protection website.

Can I extend my stay on a tourist visa?

You are unable to extend an ESTA and should you stay any longer it could result in sanctions from the Department of Homeland Security.


How much money can I bring into the country?

Travellers entering the United States may take as much money as they wish into the country. You can take up to $10,000 in currency, coin and specific monetary instruments without reporting it to customs.

What happens to goods you declare?

Many agriculture products are prohibited entry into the United States from certain countries because they may carry plant pests and foreign animal diseases. All agriculture items must be declared and are subject to inspection by a CBP Agriculture Specialist at ports of entry to ensure they are free of plant pests and foreign animal diseases. Prohibited or restricted items may include meats, fresh fruits and vegetables, plants, seeds, soil and products made from animal or plant materials. For generally allowed food items please visit USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service.

What is the duty-free concession limits for people entering USA?

• Alcohol: Up to 1 US quart of alcoholic beverages

• Tobacco: 200 cigarettes or 100 cigars or 2 kg of tobacco products per adult.