Skip Navigation

Learn about the New Zealand visa, customs and quarantine regulations. This includes types of visa applications, what to declare and what is prohibited in New Zealand.


Visas and Immigration

Having the right passport and visa organised is the key to a trouble-free entry into New Zealand. To ensure that you have an experience to remember, it’s a good idea to make sure you’ve done your homework and have everything sorted out before you leave.

Before you arrive in New Zealand, you’ll need to ensure your passport is valid for at least three months beyond your intended departure date, and if required, have a valid New Zealand visa.

Holidaying in New Zealand

The New Zealand Government have recently introduced a new Electronic Travel Authority (NZeTA) and International Visitor Conservation & Tourist Levy (IVL) that will strengthen border security and also help to support small communities who see a large influx of international visitors during summer and who need improvements to their infrastructure (such as public toilets) to be able to cope.

Electronic Travel Authority (NZeTA)

From the 1st October 2019, travellers must have an NZeTA in order to travel to New Zealand.

  • You can request an NZeTA online via the Immigration New Zealand website.
  • The cost of the NZeTA is NZD$12 for requests made via the Immigration New Zealand website and NZD$9 for requests made via the App.
  • The request takes between 5-10 minutes to complete and once issued, it is valid for up to two years and can be used for multiple visits to New Zealand.

International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy (IVL)

  • The International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy (IVL) enables travellers to contribute towards the infrastructure they use as well as protecting the natural environment of New Zealand. This costs NZD$35 per person and will be charged at the same time as making the application for the NZeTA. The exception to this is Australian Passport holders or residents who are not required to pay the ILV.

Please click here to access the Immigration New Zealand website and apply for your NZeTA today or visit to find out more information on the application process and eligibility requirements.

It is important to be aware that requesting an NZeTA is a mandatory process for anyone visiting New Zealand and includes those transiting via New Zealand, even if it is not their final destination.

Travelling via or Transiting through Australia

If you are travelling to New Zealand via an Australian airport, you may also need an Australian visa – go to the Australian Government website for more details at:

Travelling via or Transiting through the USA

If you are travelling to New Zealand via an airport in the USA, you will need an ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization) before you travel. This can be applied for online at the following website for a cost of 14 US Dollars and lasts for 2 years via the US Government website at:

More information about visas

The visa and immigration information on this page is just a summary. For everything you need to know about visiting New Zealand, please visit the Immigration New Zealand website at:

New Zealand Arrivals
New Zealand Arrivals


On arrival

You will need to complete a Passenger Arrival Card before passing through Customs Passport Control. A passenger arrival card will be given to you during your flight. If you’re not provide with one during your flight, then cards are also available in the arrivals area.

What you can bring into New Zealand

In order to protect New Zealand and its environment, certain items are not allowed to be brought into the country, have restrictions for entry or must be declared if they are deemed to present a biosecurity risk. These include food, plants, animal products and outdoor recreational equipment.

Your baggage may be sniffed by a detector dog and/or x-rayed, and it may be searched to identify any risk goods you might be carrying.

To avoid penalties it is best to familiarise yourself with these guidelines prior to travel. For a detailed list of prohibited, restricted or declarable items, please visit the Ministry for Primary Industries Biosecurity Agency website at:

Allowances and duty free concessions

As a visitor to New Zealand you may be entitled to various concessions and duty free entries on some of your goods. If you are 17 years or older, you are entitled to allowances for alcohol, cigarettes and tobacco. For detailed information on allowances and duty free concessions, please visit New Zealand Customs at: