This is the big trip: an epic experience covering the best sights in both islands. Quite simply, it’s the ultimate itinerary.
Drive through a constantly changing and endlessly fascinating landscape. You’ll visit glaciers as old as time, beaches as white as snow and scenery as stunning as you’ll see in a lifetime. Taste fine wines, visit Middle Earth and look for elusive kiwis. Both reassuringly familiar and utterly unique, New Zealand is a daily revelation.
With a car and caravan you’ll have your creature comforts with you by night, and be able to travel at your own pace.
This itinerary is designed to showcase the best of New Zealand but it is merely a suggestion, so feel free to ask us to edit it to your liking.
Duration: 36 days
Independent Motorhome Tours
Departure dates:Make an enquiry
- Majestic Mount Cook – Sir Edmund Hillary’s training ground
- Epic drive through the Southern Alps
- Vibrant Queenstown and laid-back Wanaka
- Dramatic glaciers at Fox and Franz Josef
- Subtropical Abel Tasman National Park
- Stunning Queen Charlotte Sound
- Wellington, the cosmopolitan capital
- Kaikoura’s whale watching coast
UNESCO World Heritage Sites:
- Te Wahipounamu
- Tongariro National Park
- International flights to Christchurch
- Airport transfers on arrival and departure
- 2 nights in a 4-star hotel in Christchurch, breakfast included
- 30 nights pre-booked campsite pitches
- Interislander ferry crossings (in both directions)
- Transfer to rental depot
- 31 days car hire (Nissan X-Trail or similar)
- 31 days caravan hire (4 berth) including:
- Fully equipped kitchen
- Tools and first aid kit
- All bed linen, towels, hand towels, bath mat, flannels, tea towels, buckets, pegs, broom and basic cleaning materials
This tour can be taken with the Nissan X-Trail and a Bailey Phoenix caravan (420, 640, 642 or 650). Click on the images for more details and specifications of the Nissan X-Trail and the Bailey Phoenix caravans.
Please note an additional surcharge of $20 per day applies if you do not have a New Zealand driver’s licence.
This tour can also be taken with a motorhome instead of a car and caravan.
Price per person is based on two people sharing, prices for solo travellers are available on request.