The garden city of Asia, where east and west collide.
The shining glass skyscrapers, glittering malls and well ordered parks and gardens are a testament to its wealth. Marvel at Singapore’s unique blend of tradition and cutting edge modernism, its vibrant financial centre along with innovative, futuristic architecture, designer shopping and colourful street markets. This island-city state fuses ideas from the West with Chinese, Malay and Indian influences to create a modern tourist sensation, complete with ancient temples and dramatic botanic gardens.
Out and about
With its fast, efficient and easy-to-use underground system, Singapore is easy to get around - and all signs in English! There’s plenty to see, including:
- Chinatown - markets, restaurants and food stalls buzzing day and night
- Historic Colonial District and the famous Raffles
- Little India - fine temples and colourful street markets
- Singapore Zoo and the Night Safari
- Sentosa Island - beaches, floral walks and the unmissable musical fountains. Take a cable car there from Mt Faber
- Orchard Road - shop till you drop in its enormous shopping emporiums
- Jurang Bird park and Reptile Park
- The Chinese and Japanese Gardens and beautiful Botanical Gardens - all free
- The Quays, a lively, restored riverside dining and entertainment area