A true one-off world city, Thailand’s capital is a modern metropolis complete with all the cultural ingredients of the East: brooding temples, frenetic markets, bustling waterways and non-stop nightlife. Bangkok is a shopaholics dream; the perfect stopover destination for picking up a bargain!
Out and About
Hop on a traditional TukTuk for to see the city in a way you won’t forget! Or just catch the sky train for an aerial view of the city. City highlights include:
- Floating Market – an iconic sight and one of Bangkok’s great experiences
- Jim Thompson’s House – traditional Thai house once home to the American Silk entrepreneur
- Grand Palace – the famous home of the Emerald Buddha
- Wat Po – home of the famous Reclining Buddha and some of Bangkok’s oldest temples
- Bridge Over the River Kwai – 2 hours from Bangkok is the brutal reminder of the Japanese occupation during World War II
- Chinatown – colourful streets littered with congested markets
- Chao Phraya Express – journey down Bangkok’s waterways
- Ko Kret – Bangkok’s car-free island and one of Thailand’s oldest settlements
- Emporium Shopping Centre – a hive of designer shops and the latest fashion
- Dusit Palace Park – relax and enjoy a performance of traditional Thai dance
Thailand is renowned for its pristine beaches and you don’t have to travel far from Bangkok to find a fine example. Less than two hours south of the city you will find the lively Pattaya Beach or if you prefer a more relaxed option there is the quieter Cha Am Beach. For an extended stopover travel to the delightful tropical island of Koh Samui surrounded by the crystal clear waters and powder soft white sand beaches.