Skip Navigation

Learn about the Canada visa, customs and quarantine regulations. This includes types of visa applications, what to declare and what is prohibited in Canada.

Quick find guide


British Citizens don’t need a visa to visit Canada for up to 6 months, but you will need to get an Electronic Travel Authorisation before you travel.

Visitors travelling to Canada by air are now expected to get an electronic travel authorisation (eTA) to enter Canada. For more information about the eTA system, and to apply online, visit the official Canadian government website.

Normally, visitors are allowed to stay in Canada for up to six months. However, the border services officer at the Canadian port of entry will authorise the period of time you can stay in Canada. The officer will stamp or write on your passport the length of time.


If you have anything to declare, including purchases and food, plants, animals and/or related products of any kind, make sure to inform the officer. Goods not properly declared that are restricted or prohibited in Canada can, under the law, be subject to seizure.