- Money/currency (travellers cheques, credit cards, local cash, bank/debit card)
- Money belt/neck pouch
- Travel insurance - leave one copy of your policy at home and take one copy with you
- International drivers licence
- Address book and phone numbers - for relatives/friends back home and new friends you meet here
- Spare tote/cotton/jute Bags
- Electrical plug adaptor
- Mobile phone
We all have methods for packing, whether its a last-minute rush or a well planned activity but these handy tips might just make your packing experience a little easier...
- Choose a soft suitcase over the hard-shell type. A soft bag is much easier to store whilst travelling, especially so in a motorhome.
- Make a list. We can't recommend this tip enough!
- Consider clothing materials and colours. For warmer countries and seasons, lighter materials such as linen are ideal. Long sleeved clothing is good for keeping the insects away. When visiting parts of Africa, avoid wearing blue clothing - it attracts Tsetse flies! It's also worth considering religious and cultural traditions which may call for long sleeved shirts, shorts that sit below the knee and garments that cover your shoulders.
- Roll vs fold? Experts suggest that you should roll lighter fabrics to avoid creases and maximise space in your suitcase, while heavier materials should be folded.
- Wear your bulkiest clothes. Save space in your case by wearing bulky clothes for the journey; things like coats and jumpers. These will keep you warm on the plane too.
- Find your formula. Travel packing expert Anne McAlpin of Pack It Up says she’s been recommending her packing ratio – three to one, with three tops for every bottom – for more than 25 years. She also suggests not exceeding three pairs of shoes; exercise shoes, walking shoes and a pair of sandals or flip-flops, though we tend to disagree on this one. A sturdy pair of walking shoes, suitable for all terrains, a comfy pair, smart pair and beach pair is our recommendation.
Feel free to download and print the handy travel checklist below.