Skip Navigation

Frequently asked questions about Motorhome Holidays in the USA.

The southern states enjoy long, warm summers although humidity can be high in some areas, the more northern states enjoy nice warm summers but can be much cooler in the winter.

You’ll need to get a visa or an Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA) visa waiver to enter or transit the USA as a visitor. The ESTA allows approved applicants to travel to the USA for up to 90 days for the purpose of tourism, certain types of business visits, and transit to another country.

United States - ESTA, APIS and SFPD

Eligible travellers (travelling to United States) must apply online for authorisation under the Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA) process, costing US$14 (approx £9) per person. Please click here to apply online.

Private campgrounds generally offer good cooking facilities, but the more rustic campgrounds don’t generally have any cooking facilities and you will need to use your motorhomes facilities.

• Be aware of your motorhome’s height when parking under a tree or entering a car park.

• Reverse with care – if your motorhome does not have a reversing camera then we suggest that you have someone guide you back.

• Remember to disconnect from your electrical hook up before driving off!

• You’ll have a familiarisation session at pick up but it’s worth noting where the wipers, lights and fuel cap are before setting off.

• Secure cupboard contents and ensure that surfaces are clear of loose items which can slide off in transit (kettles, cameras, cups etc).

• Use a GPS to plan your timings: distances in the USA can take longer to drive due to the fact that you may well be making frequent stops for photos, cups of tea and so on.

• Remember, when driving in the U.S. stay on the right side of the road.

• Gas (petrol or diesel) is sold by the gallon (3.79 litres) and is offered in three levels of octane: regular, plus, and premium. Most rental companies only require the use of regular gas. Often international debit or credit cards don’t work at the payment machines at the gas pump because they require a U.S. ZIP code (or postal code) for security verification. In such cases, you will need to pay inside the station.

• Every state in the U.S. has its own regulations governing parking permits for people with disabilities. In some cases, international disabled parking permits will suffice, while others require a temporary permit. Check with the Department of Motor Vehicles of each state you will be visiting to get more information.

• It is illegal to hitchhike on the interstate highway system.

• Watch out for wildlife, particularly deer, in rural areas.

• You cannot pass a school bus when its lights are flashing red.

There are thousands of campgrounds situated throughout the United States, made up of independents and franchises, below is a selection of links to the major Campground & RV Park websites in the US:

National Park Services - America's National Parks boast some of the finest campgrounds in the country.

State Parks USA - America's State Parks also have beautiful campgrounds and are similar to those in the National Parks.

Reserve America - One of the leading online providers for campsite reservations at campgrounds across the USA.

GoRving - A great platform to help you find your RV campground and lots more.

Woodalls - One of the leading online providers for campsite reservations at campgrounds across the USA.

KOA - Find your US campgrounds by state.

Free Campgrounds - For bargain-hunters, is a list of places where you can camp for free or nearly free.

The USA also has a robust highway system that snakes across the country and Recreational Vehicles, or RVs, are an increasingly popular way for tourists to see the USA. An RV is like a home away from home, typically loaded with a bathroom and kitchen as well as beds. They give you the ability to pack a lot more on your road trip such as food and travel gear. There are thousands of RV parks and campgrounds where you can stay overnight, which cuts down on accommodation costs. You often need a reservation, especially at campsites in or near National Parks.

Some of the high-speed roadways and bridges are free and some have tolls, which can add up quickly. The method of payment for these fees vary by system, but often they can be paid by cash, credit card or a pass, which electronically charges your credit card and allows you to bypass the toll booths. Many rental companies offer electronic passes. In such cases, you are charged the total fees you accumulated in your travels when you return the vehicle.

Maps are always useful, though Sat Nav is often included with your vehicle or can be rented. On some American itineraries you will receive a personalised road book with travel tips and day to day driving itinerary with local area information, please check at the time of booking.

A lot of service employees rely on tipping and it is a part of the USA culture. If you leave a restaurant without tipping, your waiter/waitress will want to know why.

  • Dining: 15-20 percent for a sit-down meal or 10 percent for a buffet. For groups, a service charge may be added so check this or you may end up tipping twice.
  • Bartenders: $1 per drink or 15-20 percent of the bill
  • Hotel bell staff: $1-$2 per bag
  • Cab drivers: 10-18 percent of fare
  • Shuttle drivers: $1-$2 a bag
  • Hotel maid: $2-$5 per night
  • Parking valet: $3-$5 when picking up vehicle
  • Tour guides: 10-20 percent, depending on their service
  • Spa treatments or hairdresser’s 10-20 percent

Summer break in the USA is usually lasts 10 to 11 weeks: it runs from the end of May to early August, or early June to Mid-August, or from the end of June to the day after Labor Day in early September – depending on the region and state.

Most National Parks in the US are free to enter however some do charge, but it is better value to purchase this locally. We do not include US National Park fees in any of our holidays.